Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Calvin

On Sunday evening I finished this wonderful book -- highly recommended reading & a great gift idea! It is not difficult to read, though it did take me a while b/c I only read on Sundays, nowadays... not good I know. I'm looking forward to gobbling up books again next year when I nurse our new baby, the Lord willing!

I like this quote that I found today in Sketches from Church History, another excellent book that every home should have...

That the Reformation was a work of God is clearly seen in the men whom God chose to bring it about, each in his time and place. The cornerstone of the building of God's Church is His own Son, who remains immovable and unchangeable, "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, today, and forever." The upper structure had become dilapidated and the forerunners of the Reformation (Wycliffe, Huss and Savonarola) had begun to tear down parts of it. Then Luther came; he completed the razing of the upper structure and then set up the new structure, solid and strong, resting firmly upon the foundation of God's Word. The completion of the building, however, was left to John Calvin, a master builder. His keen mind enabled him to read in more detail the plans and specifications of the great work, and in accordance with them, he performed his part so well and so accurately that to this day his work remains an abiding influence in the Christian Church.
...What Scripture taught, Calvin believed; and what Calvin believed, he proclaimed to all who would listen to him; and from his own day to ours men of discernment have regarded him as perhaps the greatest of all Christian teachers since the time of the apostles.
...His treatises and commentaries are his monuments, and they will continue to be printed and studied as long as there are those who cling to the eternal truths of Scripture, and as long as there is a Church militant on earth.


Calvin's commentaries are very easily accessible nowadays, too, so we have no excuse not to use them! :)

Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners,
but fellow citizens with the saints
and members of the household of God,
having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets,
Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone,
in whom the whole building, being fitted together,
grows into a holy temple in the Lord,
in whom you also are being built together
for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.
Ephesians 2:10-22

2 comments:

Rich and Cher said...

That website for Calvin is great. I use it all the time. ra

Rich and Cher said...

I just had to add another thought. Your quote about Calvin's treatises and commentaries being his monuments and how they have abiding influence... I think those statements are so true. Men like Calvin had something of 'Christ' that is so remarkable. He gave his life to Him - which is why his works are still so powerful and useful. It's been something I've been thinking about since my last 'ministerial' (a meeting of ministers) when we talked a bit about him. ra