Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Hospital Days...

Living across the street from this hospital has been a great help for the past 5 or 6 days! Last week Tuesday David suddenly got a bad cough, so I took him to the doctor but it was not something to worry about at that point. But he was worse on Thursday so I took him in again, and by then it had become bronchiolitis. The doctor told me what to watch out for and said that if he got any worse he would have to go the hospital, which is what ended happening that night (actually early Friday morning) -- David woke up coughing, his chest was really indrawing & he wasn't getting enough breath to cry properly, so I rushed him straight to emergency. They took care of him immediately, and we stayed in Emerg until lunchtime, when he was admitted. And we have been in Paediatrics ever since, & likely will be here until tomorrow at least. The doctor just came in & was quite pleased with how David sounds! Praise be to our faithful, loving Father! He was the worst on the weekend, and during all the nights except for last night... finally we both slept solidly from 11:30 to 3:30! I was so thankful! "Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning." David is still coughing hard, but not as often, and is still indrawing when he breathes, but not nearly as much as before. His breathing is still coarse & noisy, but he can at least breathe through his nose again (yea!) so he is nursing really well and picking up a bit in his weight (he'd been losing a little bit every day). And he hasn't been throwing up recently either. So he is on the mend, certainly, thanks be to God! but we are not allowed to go home quite yet. Oh well, I am getting used to living here! :) just kidding!


We've just been so thankful for the way the Lord has been providing for us throughout all this, surrounding us with the care of our family & friends! Rachel has been doing a wonderful job on the home front with making everyone breakfasts, lunches (with Maria), drinks, & even Greek salads (for me too -- I'm eating one now!); changing diapers; & generally keeping the household going (with Ralph's help of course). My mom & Lizzie were a great help on Monday & Tuesday, and needless to say Ralph has been doing so much for me & the kids, including running over here to babysit David for an hour or two each day so I could go home. The nurses here have been extremely sweet & helpful, too. Another benefit of this time is that I have been reading a lot! In fact I haven't read this much in years, even on vacation, since even holidays tend to be a little busy with a big family! :) So far I've finished the latest Creation magazine, plus books by Timothy Keller (The Prodigal God -- so refreshing!), Charles Dickens (Oliver Twist), and Marilynne Robinson (Gilead -- very interesting!), and now I am in the middle of John Piper (This Momentary Marriage -- wow!), R.C. Sproul Jr. (When You Rise Up -- reminds parents of the big picture again, the goals we have to always keep in mind as we teach our kids), and R.M. Ballantyne (Fighting the Flames).

Monday was Daniel's 5th birthday, so Mom took him over for a little visit!
David has been practicing his smiles on the nurses!
He is getting good at it - so sweet! Here he's smiling at Mom.
He's also just learn to coo at us -- so absolutely precious to be able to "communicate" with such a tiny little person! :)

3 comments:

Mark and Christy said...

Awww, poor little guy. I'm glad he's starting to feel better. Now that we know about it, we'll keep him in prayer. Love you guys!

Maria said...

Wow, that it rough. So glad that he is feeling better, Sharon! This is a busy time for you! And David is very, very cute.

Christine said...

He is such a little cutie! I'm glad you got lots of reading in. The Lord always gives us something special to go along with the trials, doesn't He?