Monday, June 02, 2008

Jewel

Meet our new baby bird, Jewel!
We decided to get a bird because we enjoyed studying them
so much in science this year, & also because I found
a suitable cage at a garage sale a few weeks ago. :)

I am typing this with one hand
because he is sitting cozily with me in the other.
Jewel is a one-month-old hand-fed budgie, so he loves hands :)
and is very content when being held. (unless it's
feeding time -- then he is rather noisy!)

We found him on the internet from a bird breeder (Donna Durant) in Oshawa, & picked him up on Saturday afternoon. (That's better, he's now perched quietly on my shoulder.) Maria is the one responsible for his care, except that he still needs one more week of hand-feeding before he eats on his own, & it's a little tricky so I feed him myself.
He eats every 3-4 hours, but lasts 9 hours at night.
Here is Donna with Jewel's grandfather
(who talks, though he wouldn't for us!).
And these are Jewel's parents -- the male is green & yellow.

Donna let me hold these tiny baby budgies!
The smaller one is only 2 days old, & the other is almost a week old.
Budgie eggs are so little! Don't the babies grow fast though?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats cute. I love birds too. Does the lady you got her from have a website or somthing?
Rebecca Boekee

Rich and Cher said...

Ooooh! Neat! I wonder what Rich would think? ;) We're looking forward to visiting with you all - bird included - this week!

Dauna said...

The baby birds are incredible!