At this point, we have had about 34 hours of lectures, and our heads are spinning a little! It's been so busy that we've hardly posted anything about what we've been learning... so we'll just have to try to do a bit every week for a while, I guess. That will help us remember these things ourselves, I hope.
Today we had a few seminars on parenting -- excellent reminders that parenting is a stewardship, and it's a discipleship process. Often in the busyness of life, we tend to think of our kids instead as inconveniences or bothers, forgetting that it is our responsibility to train them. Biblical training of our children involves both admonition (the teaching element) and correction (discipline). The ultimate goal of our parenting is our children's conformity to the image of Christ.
For some practical help, here are suggested questions to ask your child next time you need to discipline him:
1. What did you do?
2. Was it right?
3. What should you have done?
4. What will you do next time?
5. What does God expect me to do?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I would really recommend a book by Ginger Plowman - Don't Make Me Count to Three. I read it for my Counseling Children Class, and it really takes Tedd Tripp's Shepherding a Child's Heart to a really practical level. It is written by a mom and I just found it very helpful in thinking about heart-centered questions and discipline that really honors Christ.
Glad you seem to be enjoying yourselves - though I definitely know what it feels like to have your head spinning with all these things all the time! God Bless
i have that book on loan from mom now !! i agree, it is good :)
Post a Comment