Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Let's Celebrate... Reformation Day!

On October 31, 1517, Martin Luther nailed his
95 Theses to the door of the castle church in Wittenberg. This event is usually hailed as the beginning of the Protestant Reformation...

The Reformation was a broad movement to reform the church of Jesus Christ according to
the Word of God. It did not happen overnight.
It deepened its understanding of the Word over many years. We Reformed people believe that the Reformation did not reach its maturity in Luther's theology but rather in that of John Calvin. But the 95 Theses mark the moment when Luther and the Reformation began a public, popular challenge to the medieval church. They are the beginning of the end of papal domination of the western church. They are the beginning of Luther's career as notable teacher of the Bible and reformer of the church. That makes the 95 Theses well worth celebrating as we see in them the goodness of God for the reform of His church.
(pp. 39, 43-44)

This excellent book by Robert Godfrey is available from Amazon,
and elsewhere too I'm sure...

Another "must read" which I am enjoying is
"John Calvin: Genius of Geneva," newly available from Inheritance Publications.

Ralph is reading This Was John Calvin by
Thea B. Van Halsema to Rachel & Maria...
a great "read aloud" book for your kids.
It's in our church library, or you can get it
here & other places.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Thanks for the link and quote. I hope you don't mind... I thought I'd use for this week's bulletin.

Pastor ra