Check out this interview with Douglas Gresham, Lewis' step-son, who was a co-producer of the film The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. In it he states: "...it's not a Christian film and the Narnia books aren't Christian novels..."
I think I know what he means, but if my memory serves me correctly, I believe he more than alluded to the Christian themes in the book when he introduced the Focus on the Family Radio Theatre version of the book...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
I don't remember what he said in the intros to the FOTF Radio Theatre versions, but the quote you have here (and the whole interview) doesn't really bother me. The reason for that is because if it was meant to be Christian, then I would have some serious problems with C.S. Lewis' theology. For example, Aslan having to negotiate with the witch about Edmund the traitor, or Aslan accepting that Calormene guy into the new Narnia because he had served Tash wholeheartedly, and with good intent. Know what I mean?
I know what you mean... See my recent post on this and follow the link for an interesting article about the making of the film
Thanks for posting additional insights into the movie. Very interesting. I was just thinking that another problem with getting all involved in interpreting other people's books and movies is getting TOO involved, where people try to analyze everthing to death and find Christian themes and motives in every possible place. What's the purpose of that? Do we then live our lives according to the principles found in TLOTR? Or the Chronicles of Narnia? And I think it could lead people to watching way too many films or reading questionable books because they supposedly have Christian themes.
I understand what Lisa is saying, but I think there are at least two purpose in seeing Christian themes in the artistic ideas of unbelievers. The first would be an apologetic one; there are many movies put out about the spiritual world. They have themes and ideas that are contrary to a biblical worldview. But mankind reaches for God and truth without knowing it, and often without ever finding it. Our hearts are restless until they find rest in Him. It seems to me there are countless opportunities for Christians to respond favorably to GOOD art as a means of speaking of the truth, speaking of Christ, the true end of all true art. Among other things, this would require us to support and watch good movies (and I don't mean ratings wise - many of the more valuable movies are rated R [though not for all ages or people of course] and some of the more dangerous are rated G), and use them as a means of discussion.
I also think that movies that point beyond the material, that direct our hearts towards good and noble themes, that make us think about the depth of sin (not to glorify it), that at least point to hope beyond this earth, are worthwhile for our own faith. In this way, art is just another part of God's creation to be used to enrapture our heart, return us to His Word, and move us to worship.
Mark
Mark,
You might want to clarify your statement that "many of the more valuable movies are rated R". Are you talking about "Schlinder's List", "To End All Wars", "Braveheart", "Saving Private Ryan" or what?? (I've never seen any of these, but from what I have read about them they are R-rated because of violence but perhaps have "value" becasue of the stories they tell.)
However, I agree that the world's rating system is not and should not be the same as ours...
Hmmm...I prefer the opportunities presented by real life to the opportunities presented by movies, myself. I don't have the time or the inclination to keep up with many of the "good movies" that are out there that unbelievers watch. But I do live real life every day, inevitably. Not to say that I would never take the opportunity for a discussion on a movie I have watched.
I'm trying not to, but I do recoil a bit from the thought that movies can do so much to "direct our hearts toward good and noble themes" and so on. I've seen too many glassy-eyed, slack-jawed movie watchers! Also, I think you can get on an emotional high from a movie for a while, but it fades pretty fast when real life kicks back in. In order to make anything from a movie "stick", I think you need to do a lot of discussing during it, and I know a lot of people who despise having their movie interrupted with a lot of talking.
My .02, anyway. :)
When I said some of the best are R rated, I was continuing to discuss movies that are GOOD. That would leave out a lot of R rated movies that glorify sin.
Mark
Clarifying further - that would leave out all R rated movies that glorify sin or portray sin in such a way that would inevitably lead the viewers into sin.
Sorry about any lack of clarity,
Mark
Mark, thanks for the clarification.
Post a Comment